Sunday, 6 October 2013

Hobby Update....

Hi folks! It's been a while and I thought I'd give the blog a bit of love.
So here's a few things that have gone on in the last two months....
  1. Nerdycon was run in August and received overwhelmingly positive feedback  It was won by Daniel Butler, who earned his 1st place from all facets.  Best paint was won by Timothy Lind - loved his Empire force and it was great to see some of the more quirky special characters making an appearance!
  2. Went to the Tauranga Open spare-of-the-moment with some mates, it was an "any-thing-goes tournament" (which I prefer) I took the crack Altdorf SS Panzer Division lead by the mercurial Karl Franz. I came 2nd, only losing to the eventual winner Ross H-J and his commandos of Chaos (around 20 mini's). The real highlights of the tournament were the nice people, bar on site, the location and the good food down in Tauranga.  Blair Garret ran a great event and I'm looking forward to the next one!
  3. I took the same Empire list to GuardCon and won the event.  My list, I feel, is a great counter to the current meta (which is as many elite troops as possible with the highest armour save).  Currently I really despise Warhammer in it's current format and I enjoy steam-rolling armies that (I personally feel) are cheesy pieces of crap. The event was run really well by Nick Lironi-Irvine and was a real step up from the last City Guard event that I attended (Equinox) which was a disaster. However, I feel they've set the ship aright, and I am looking forward to their future events.
  4. After my two solid performances on the tournament calender I've submarined back up into Masters contention and this has coincided with my selection for the New Zealand ETC team.  I am really looking forward to this as I can get my competitive game face on and not worry about the hobby so much - for those that have competed in team events you will know how it becomes almost two games with the tactical team placements pre-game and match ups etc etc.... anyway after much deliberation it turns out that the European Team Championship is in Serbia and I am looking forward to catching up with my mate Bogdan (Serbian ETC and resident) and meeting some of the Serbian crew.  I really feel good about our chances next year and Cpt Pete Dunn is running a tight ship - so looking forward to it.
  5. Some people cried about paint scores. The sun came up the next day. All is well and the paint scores remain. The hobby is better for it.
Additionally.....
I am still working away on my Epic 40,000 collection and it has become an addiction of Epic proportions!  If anyone has dusty old collections sitting in their cupboard they can exchange these for cold, hard, cash or my love....donations will make you feel good about yourself and it will help me save for Europe next year (yes I'm an addict).  Here's some picks of a titan and tactical Guard platoon that I've been working on.


Adeptus Mechanicus arise!

Really enjoyed creating the scenic base on the titan - makes the miniature in my opinion!
I fucking love Epic, and if you aren't going to sell or donate your old collections to me then I suggest you dust them off and get playing....hands down the best army combat game GW ever produced!  I suggest the Net Epic rules too (free off the net) basically Space Marine 2 with tweaks.

That's all for now....until next time folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment